Yes. Section 24-182 of the Leesburg Town Code outlines the town's noise ordinance. This ordinance has been in effect since 2009 and was amended in 2020 to extend the hours for amplified outdoor music on the weekends.
- Leesburg's noise ordinance has a “per se,” or plainly audible standard. If a sound can be heard by a person with their unaided hearing faculties beyond the boundary of the property, and it disturbs, it is considered "excessive noise" which is prohibited by the ordinance.
- No. Leesburg's noise ordinance does not use a decibel-based system.
The following time restrictions regarding excessive noise apply:
- Construction noise, including pneumatic hammers, chain saws, pile drivers, steam shovels, and similar equipment, is prohibited from 10 p.m. to 6:30 a.m.
- Noise from lawnmowers and other lawn care equipment is prohibited from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Fireworks and similar devices are prohibited from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- Yelling, shouting, and singing are prohibited from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- Amplified outdoor music is allowed, with a permit, from 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.
All other forms of excessive noise are prohibited, unless specifically listed as an exception in Section 24-182(4) of the Leesburg Town Code.
- Yes. If any business or resident creates excessive noise, the ordinance applies equally.
A violation of the noise ordinance is a class 2 misdemeanor. In addition, if you have an approved amplified noise permit, two violations of the noise ordinance will result in the cancellation of the permit for a six-month period of time. A violation is defined as the issuance of a written summons by the Leesburg Police Department.
- Yes. Amplified outdoor music requires a permit from the Town Manager's office. If approved, amplified music may be played outdoors between the hours of 10:30 a.m. and 8 p.m. on Sunday through Thursday and between the hours of 2 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.
- A permit is required for any outdoor amplified music in the Town of Leesburg. The permit is an annual permit which will be in effect for 12 months from the date of issuance. The cost is $100 per year. You can download the application for amplified music here or contact the Town Manager’s office at 703-771-2700.
The full text of the Leesburg noise ordinance is found in Section 24-182 of the Leesburg Town Code.