During Phase 2 of Northern Virginia’s re-opening, Thomas Balch Library will offer limited in-library research by appointment only - with extended hours.
Research appointments must be submitted via the Research Appointment Request Form or phone [703-737-7195] a minimum of 48 hours in advance. Research hours are limited to Tuesday 10 AM to 12 PM and 1 PM to 3 PM or Thursday 10 AM to 12 PM and 1 PM to 3 PM. Please be aware the library reserves the right to cancel and reschedule research appointments due to staffing limitations or governmental orders.
- There will be no public access to the Library building outside of pre-scheduled appointments.
- All programs and meetings are canceled until further notice
Remote Reference services are still available Monday - Friday via:
Researching At Home?
We've created a page with tips, helpful hints, and useful tools:
Check back often for regular updates!
The Thomas Balch Library is a history and genealogy library owned and operated by the Town of Leesburg. Collections focus on Loudoun County, regional and Virginia history, genealogy, military history with special emphasis on the American Civil War, and ethnic history. It is designated as an Underground Railroad research site.
Thomas Balch Library has a wide variety of traditional and electronic resources to aid researchers, including many unique materials. Our collections include bible records, books, broadsides, business records, cemetery records, census records, county and city government records, deeds and wills, electronic journals and databases, genealogical notes and charts, historic house files, magazines, maps, newspapers, oral histories, organization records, paintings, personal papers, photographs, postcards, posters, rare books, and more.
Collections & Research
- Catalog: Thomas Balch Library catalog combined with Loudoun County Public Library catalog.
- Databases & Electronic Resources: Thomas Balch Library offers a wealth of databases and electronic resources for patrons.
- Special Collections: Thomas Balch Library’s special collections include a wide variety of rare and unique materials, including original manuscripts and archives, book indices, census and cemetery records, deeds and wills, historic house files, maps, and more.
- Library Services: Thomas Balch Library offers a wide variety of services to the Leesburg community and beyond.
- Pathfinders: Thomas Balch Library Pathfinders are designed to introduce users to a selection of the library’s materials relating to a specific research topic.